Poster for Lynda Barry’s class, “The Unthinkable Mind”, Spring 2013 at The University of Wisconsin-Madison
THE UNTHINKABLE MIND
Art 469 —-English/Creative writing 307 —— Science (Course number to come)
Time: 1:20 -3:50
Location: 6261 Humanities
Limit: 20 Students, composed of eight students whose main interests are in the Humanities, eight students whose main interests are in the Sciences, and four wild cards.
Instructor: Lynda Barry
A writing and picture-making class with focus on the basic physical structure of the brain with emphasis on hemispheric differences and a particular sort of insight and creative concentration that seems to come about when we are using our hands (-the original digital devices) —to help us figure out a problem.
No artistic talent is required to be part of this class, but students must have an active interest in learning about the physical structure of the brain, how memory, metaphor, pictures and stories work together, the relationship between our hands and thinking, and what the biological function of the thing we call ‘the arts’ may be.
This is a rigorous class with a substantial workload. Along with twice weekly writing, picture making, and memorization assignments, students will be required to complete a handmade book using visual and written elements by the end of the semester.
Although this class is open to both graduate and undergraduate students from all academic disciplines, priority will be give to Art, Science, and English students currently enrolled at the University of Wisconsin.
Applications for the class will be accepted either in person or by mail until 3:00 PM THURSDAY DECEMBER 5th. No electronic submissions will be accepted, but students will be receive an email confirmation that their application has been received. Class list will be announced on Wednesday, December 12th.
The Unthinkable Mind 2013 c/o UW-Madison Art Department
6241 Humanities Building
455 North Park Street
Madison, WI 53706
All applications must be formatted exactly as follows to be considered: typed, double-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman with standard margins, black ink on regular white paper, no longer than 4 single-sided pages, stapled in the upper left hand corner.
Prospective students should answer each of the questions below without putting too much thought into it. The first answers that come to mind are the ones I’m most interested in.
Questions for Students Applying to “The Unthinkable Mind”
1. Full Name:
2. Student ID Number (10 digits, no dashes or spaces)
3. Email address: (please use your wisc.edu email address)
4. Degree program or area of study and year (eg BFA, Dance, Junior)
5. This course is offered through different departments. Select the department through which you would like to take the course.
6. Art 469 —-English/Creative writing 307 —— Science (Course number to come)
7. What classes did you take during Fall Semester of 2012? Why?
8. What classes will you be taking Spring Semester of 2013? Why?
9. What were some of the books you read as a kid?
10. What were some of the games you played?
11. What were some of your favorite fictional characters when you were growing up. (These can be any kind of fictional characters at all, from literary to cartoon to video game characters.)
12. Who was your favorite elementary school teacher? Why?
13. Who was your least favorite elementary school teacher? Why?
14. Was there an object or thing disturbed you as a kid? Why?
15. Was there an object or thing that did the opposite for you? Why?
16. Was there something you made by hand as a kid that frustrated you?
17. Was there something you made by hand as a kid that made you happy?
19. What was your least favorite kind of fictional creature?
20. What would be your least favorite kind of fictional environment?
21. How do you feel about writing by hand?
- tehilla456 likes this
- arrowrabbit likes this
- ashleyalikodesigns likes this
- rosalielightning reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey and added:
- theworldneedsmoreninjas likes this
- duckwolf likes this
- cateisstorytiming likes this
- organic-bamford likes this
- glennspiro-taichi likes this
- personalview-comment likes this
- charitable-giving likes this
- hedgefunds-eim likes this
- markholyoake-photography likes this
- fuckify likes this
- funkfoxx reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- traningsmotivation likes this
- militantmaudlinist likes this
- feminineeffects likes this
- teresaelectro likes this
- redeyedcorsetdreams reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- teuil reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- pondstaring reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- 30mom likes this
- hxmilleratl likes this
- lepley likes this
- callithumpme reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- arteypoemas reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- pcbutler likes this
- semiography reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- foundinthejar likes this
- fartdonkey likes this
- maiamaia reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- maiamaia likes this
- diskgrinder reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- spacefolder-electroglyph likes this
- laeneth reblogged this from austinkleon
- mattguevara likes this
- comicscomingsoon likes this
- serendipity20 likes this
- msbookish reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey and added:
- daughteroftheeast reblogged this from cupcakelogic
- lonesomnia reblogged this from austinkleon
- sarahmvasquez reblogged this from austinkleon and added:
- rachel-erica100 likes this
- adventuresinspatialawareness reblogged this from austinkleon
- funeralafterparty reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey and added:
- ellalovetodo reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- drawnandquarterly reblogged this from thenearsightedmonkey
- mackkell06 reblogged this from aloneintheattic
- talltalestralala likes this